Captain John Foss
Captain John Foss has been sailing the Maine Coast since he was little. He has skippered his own windjammer since 1976. He and his crew work year round keeping the Eagle in top shape. At the North End Shipyard which he has co-owned since 1973 with two other schooner captains, perishable skills and techniques are preserved and used regularly. He holds a 1,600 ton auxiliary sail oceans license.
A cruise with Capt. Foss is a short course in the history and dynamics of schooners, fishing, and the Gulf of Maine and of the literature of the Sea. His humor and enthusiasm radiates; he is someone who loves his job and shares his experiences with others.
After twenty years as a reporting member of the Maine Island Trail Association, Capt. Foss was named Island Adopter of the Year for 2008, an award recognizing his devotion to thoughtful island use.
Our cruises have been featured in a lot of magazines, newspapers and travel websites including:
- November 2011: Classic Boat Magazine
- April 2010: Saveur Magazine. Ship Shape by Ben Conniff
- July 2009: WhereToGoNext.com. Patricia & Robert Foulke’s The Lure of Windjammers
- June 2009: Men’s Journal (page 24). Terrific Father -Son Trips
- May 2009: Latitude 38 Magazine. World of Chartering. Pages 140-141.
- October 2008: DownEast Magazine. Ben McCanna’s Berth of the Cool Blog
- Winter 2008: Bowdoin Magazine (page 55)
a profile of Capt. John; not entirely accurate but close.
- September 2008: NPR’s Only a Game
Recorded during the 2008 Gloucester Schooner Race
- September 2007: Romar Traveler
- July 29, 2007: New Haven Register (New Haven, CT)
- April 2007: US Airways Magazine, “Sailor’s Delight“
- March 2007: Offshore Magazine, “Windjammer Journey” (page 14)
- Sept 2005: Sky Magazine, “Tied Up in Knots“
- July 3, 2005: The Sunday Boston Globe
- May 2004: Smithsonian Magazine, “Before the Mast” (page 100)
- December 2003/January 2004: The Working Waterfront (page 4)
- March 2003: Sail Magazine (page 78)
- January/February, 2003: AARP (page 47)
- June, 2002: Yankee Magazine
- September 2, 2002: Kennebec Journal (Augusta, ME)
- August 15, 2002: The Daily Item (Lynn, MA)
- August 3, 2002: The Daily Gleaner (Frederickton, New Brunswick)
- August 13, 2000: Knoxville News-Sentinel (Knoxville, TN)
- July 18, 1999: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Natural New England Magazine
- Maine Times Magazine